You’ve had a new website designed; you’re overjoyed that it’s now live, and you can’t wait for the world to see your new creation. After a week, your friends and family have all seen your new website and fed back how amazing it is. You decide to Google your new business – Oh nooo, your website doesn’t show up on the first page of Google. Why?
There are several reasons – if it’s a brand new website, it’s mainly because your domain name has no authority and isn’t yet trusted by Google; if it’s a redesign, it might be because the URL’s and page content is different from your old website, Google needs to re-index it (what does a site index mean?)
It’s worth pointing out: if you’re planning on a website redesign, and your current website ranks well on Google, you need to be very careful not to break the links that Google has stored already as ‘good pages’. Otherwise, you’ll be starting from scratch.
I’d expect to see your new website coming up in Google if searching for your company name within a day or so – that’s if your URL is fairly unique. My business, for example, dotwall – I’d expect that to come up straight away as there are no other companies called dotwall. If your business is called Emergency Locksmith 24/7, don’t expect your website to rank without SEO (search engine optimization) effort.
Here are all the action points ✅ I complete to give a new website the best possible start:
- ✅ Submit your website to Bing and Google – this is vital; this ensures Google and Bing knows about your new website and knows to start indexing it
- ✅ Install an SEO plugin such as RankMath or Yoost SEO. These plugins are vital as they make configuring your website for SEO super easy.
- ✅ Build your website with H tags – so your website has some structure, very similar to when you’re writing a book – you’d need a title (H1) and subtitle (H2) and maybe a sub-subtitle (H3) -this tells the search engines how your website is structured, so it understands the hierarchy of the page content of your website pages.
- ✅ Create a sitemap – sitemaps tell search engines where to find the content on your website so they can easily crawl and index your pages.
- ✅ Set up Google search console – Google Search Console lets you track search performance and see which keywords you rank for.
Have any questions about SEO? Wondering why your website isn’t ranking on Google? Get in touch. Happy to help 🙂